Monday, July 11, 2011

UK Rail tickets fail basic usability



Great article on how UK Rail tickets are designed for ticket takers, not train riders.

I overheard a familiar conversation on the train to London the other day. The ticket inspector was explaining to a passenger that their ticket was no good, the conversation went something like this.

Inspector: Tickets please Passenger: Here you go Inspector: I need both parts please Passenger: …. I only bought a single Inspector: Your ticket comes with a reservation. If you don’t have the reservation part you’ll need to buy a new ticket. Passenger: (Cue panicked fumbling through bags)… Oh here you go. Inspector: …Ahh see you’re on the wrong train. This ticket has booked you on the 7.45.

The passenger had to buy another ticket, or risk a penalty fare.

This got me thinking (As I looked down to check my own ticket). No wonder they didn’t know what train they were allowed to catch. These tickets make no sense. They are designed for ticket inspectors. Not for travellers.


You can read the entire article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment